Anchors secure a Piece of History on Spain’s Cliff Line
The Torres Lighthouse is located on the Cabo de Torres peninsula in Asturias, approx. 280km west of Bilbao. The tower, which was built in 1924, stands in the immediate vicinity of a steep coast and serves as an archeological museum, a library and a look-out.
Due to the fact that it is located at the edge of a steep coast, and because the surrounding geology is shaped by alternating clays, fractured quartzite and slate with unfavorable dips, the tower is both endangered by possible landslides and cave formations.
Consequently, the decision was made to stabilize the slopes endangered by landslides using deep, permanent DYWIDAG Strand Anchors. Seventeen 30 m long double corrosion protected Type 10-0.6“ DYWIDAG Strand Anchors with free lengths of 23m each were used to tie back the slope into the stable rock strata.
Anchor installation proved to be very difficult because work had to be carried out on a precipice more than 80m above sea level. The contractor, Geocisa, designed a special mast mounted on an excavator for this purpose. Using this method, the anchor points could be accessed using a high performance, portable drilling rig.
In addition to the required DYWIDAG Strand Anchors, DSI Spain also provided technical support and supplied the HOZ 3000 Stressing Jack needed for working in these difficult conditions.