The Aldingen/Remseck Lock: Rehabilitation using permanent Strand Anchors
The Aldingen/Remseck Lock north of Stuttgart, Germany, located on the right bank of the Neckar River, consists of two chambers that are equipped with mitre gates. The lock complex, built between 1937 and 1956, is being extensively rehabilitated because it is too small for many modern ships and in need of repair.
Within the scope of the repair work, the righthand shore side chamber of the lock is being strengthened using grouted anchors, and the embankment in front of the basin is being modified. The concrete shell of the left-hand chamber is being milled off and new concrete added. In addition the lock is being lengthened by a few meters in order to be navigable by 110m ships.
The chamber on the lock side – the head and the aft – had to be anchored in the rock for stability. For this purpose, DYWIDAG-Systems International Germany supplied 100 permanent, 15m long 4 strand DYWIDAG Strand Anchors.
The drilling work by PST Spezialtiefbau was carried out on the lock wall in limited space conditions using a double head anchoring machine. The anchor drilling equipment had to be lifted onto the lock wall using a truck crane.